Posted: 26.03.20 at 17:39 by The Editor
Penarth Nub News has teamed up with a local chef, who will be providing regular recipes for you to try out whilst the town is in lockdown.
We have been thinking of ways to encourage people to keep entertained during their time in isolation and cooking is a perfect activity to do alone or as a family.
Tom Hann, our local chef, has been out of work since the restaurant he worked in (The Pilot) shut its doors temporarily due to the coronavirus outbreak.
He has been finding ways to keep the community cooking; including, providing meal plans for his neighbours.
The first recipe he has brought to the table for you to try out is a Chickpea and Red Lentil Curry (with or without chicken) and the details can be found below.
1. Finely dice the onion and celery.
2. Dice the carrots into 2 cm squares
3. Add oil to a large plan on a medium heat and sauté the onion and celery until translucent then add the carrots and optionally chicken for those who wish.
4. Once the carrot starts to brown, add the rosemary finely chopped, cumin, coriander, asafoetida and optionally garlic.
5. Let this cook till aromatic then add chopped tomatoes, your stock of choice and turn to a low heat.
6. Add the lentils and chickpeas and a whole diced lime.
7. Simmer for approximately 2 hours
8. At the 1 hour mark you can add any soft vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, courgettes and aubergines and cook for the remaining hour.
9. Add Garam masala, salt and pepper before you plate and serve with rice, yoghurt and mango chutney.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Chicken (remove for vegetarian option)
1 Tbsp Oil
1 White Onion
3 Sticks of Celery
2 Cloves of Garlic (optional)
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 cup of lentils
300 ml of vegetable or chicken stock
½ tsp of Asafoetida (or garlic/onion powder)
1 tsp of Cumin
1 tsp of Coriander
3 tsp of Garam Masala
1 tsp of Salt and Pepper